Monday, November 2, 2015

INDUSTIAL FACILITY: A PORTFOLIO OF THOUGHTFULNESS

An important part of my weekly routine is scouring the web for good examples of good design. It is important to me to be able to recognize good design so that I can tell when I'm not doing good design. What we learned about design synthesis from Jon Kolko emphasized the importance of personal insight and taste in the design research process. If we do not take the time to refine our tastes and develop our own design language, how can we consistently deliver insights that people can trust? I'd like to share with you a design studio that has become one of my biggest inspirations of late. 




Industrial Facility, from the UK, has a portfolio full of understated beauty, simplicity, and smarts. The things they make are characterized by meticulous attention to detail, without sacrificing the simplicity of focused function. In a discussion with my wife about design, we decided good design effortlessly communicates thoughtfulness. It is not characterized by any specific detail, like minimalism, specific functionality, or sustainability. Good design, from what I can tell, is obviously thoughtful. Industrial Facility doesn't make thoughtless things. I implore you to take a look at their work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment